You’ve seen it all over the internet, I’ve not completely opened up about it so thought this week was the right time. Jada Pinkett Smith, Will Smith and all the drama with August Alsina.
On 10th July, Jada Pinkett Smith brought her OWN self to the Red Table and revealed that she’d had a relationship with R&B singer August Alsina while separated from her husband, Will Smith.
Jada was 43 and August was 22, they met at the Wireless Festival in London to support Jaden and Willow, who were both performing.
Just to recap:
- August Alsina came into their lives and he was ‘very sick’ … the Smith’s allegedly embraced him and the entire family bonded with him over his health issues.
- Will Smith brought up the question everyone was asking when he questioned his wife during the filming to answer “clearly what happened” between her and August.
- “And then what did you do, Jada?” Will asked, urging his wife to keep talking.
- She responded, “I got into an entanglement with August.”
- She continued, “A relationship, it was a relationship, absolutely. I was in a lot of pain, I was broken and in the process of that relationship, I definitely realised that you can’t find happiness outside of yourself. And luckily enough, you and I were also going through a process of healing in a much different manner.”
- After she stated that she had a relationship with August, Will admitted on camera: “I was done with your ass. I was done with you,”. “Marriages have that though. We decided that we were going to separate for a period of time and you go figure out how to make yourself happy and I’ll try to figure out how to make myself happy. I really felt like we could be over.”’
- Jada flatly denied Alsina’s remarks about getting ‘permission’ from Will to be with her, saying “the only person who could give permission in that particular circumstance is myself.”
Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith first met on the set of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air in 1994. Jada was auditioning and they began dating shortly after. They married in 1997 and they have two children, Willow and Jaden.
They both have stated that they view their relationship as more of a “life partnership” than a conventional marriage. Jada did confirm that she was “broken” when they separated but have now moved to absolute “unconditional love”. Will confirmed that sentiment when he talked about his promise to love her through anything.
And it seems like the Smith family is very much ok with things after the Red Table Talk drama… at least that is what a source close to the family told Us Weekly.
“The Smiths as a family are really glad they addressed this and put everything out in the open,” their source says. “Will and Jada, at the end of the day, are like a normal couple who just happen to be glorified because they’re famous. They have fought. They have reconciled. At the end of the day, they do love each other.” Cool-cool-cool.
Will and Jada also think everyone is blowing this whole thing “out of proportion,” with the source adding, “At the end of the day, what hasn’t changed is the love that Will and Jada have for each other, and the deep love that their children have for them…They are an extremely close family, famous or not.”US Weekly
And Will Smith is not suffering any nonsense at all… blocking folks with their “entanglement” comments.
Was Jada wrong?
According to Cheatsheet: Alsina told The Breakfast Club host, Angela Yee, that the relationship nearly broke him. According to popular YouTuber Tasha K, his family allegedly told her that they felt Smith preyed upon Alsina at his most vulnerable state. He reportedly was in suffering from addiction and sought the Smith’s help.
Jada did admit that while she was “with” August, she had codependency issues and had a superhero complex, making her want to “fix” people.
“I had to learn to break [my codependency] in this cycle, the idea of needing to fix and being drawn to people that need help…whether it’s your health, or whether it’s your addictions – there’s something about that childhood trauma that feels as though it can be fixed through fixing people versus fixing me,” she told Will.Red Table Talk