Amidst the busyness and family get togethers in that ‘quiet’ space between Christmas and the New Year, many reflect on how well the year has gone and what we would like to do or be in the new year.
As the weather gets colder, temperatures at home may rise due to more time off together putting a strain on all types of relationships. So is this the best time to reflect when we are all slightly frayed?!
If you do have time (of course you can make time, a long bath can be a good escape from a full household!), then here are some questions for you.
- What do I really want?
- What must I do to get it?
- What must I be to get it?
- How will I feel when I do?
- So what do you really want?
We are always changing, growing, learning, so it is okay to change your mind as long as you are not running away from the reality of what you need to do. Sometimes we have to work hard or study long, to move our lives forward but always be aware that if you are thinking that the ‘grass is greener’ somewhere else, know that wherever you go, there you are! If we do not change who we are, we will keep attracting the past, whether by holding on to emotions or past habitual behaviours. Lessons which we have not learnt still come at us, people that we think we have escaped from sometimes appear in another form until we are clear what we want, where we are going and what we do not want in our lives. So maybe stand still long enough to contemplate life this season, to gain clarity and choose the life you want to live.
Questions to help you reflect and move forward:
- Who do you need to say sorry to?
- Who do you need to forgive?
- Who do you need to show more love?
- Who do you need to let go of?
- Who do you need to talk to?
- Who would you like around you?
- What income do you want to have?
- What would you like to do on a daily/weekly/monthly basis?
- Who would you like to be?
- How would you like to feel?
If you are at peace with where you are then acknowledge that and pat yourself on the back, determining to create and attract more of this into your life. So your reflection could be:
Name at least 3 things:
- Which went particularly well over the last year?
- That you can learn from things which didn’t go so well?
- That you have achieved this year?
- That you want more of in the new year
Even if you don’t write these answers down, have some sort of vision in your mind on how you would like your life to go, feel it and start to move towards it. Enjoy the journey, enjoy the destination, enjoy the next part of the journey, in other words, enjoy each phase of life you find yourself in. Seasons change, people change, we change…be like branches in the wind to be flexible with life as new challenges come our way and things don’t go how we expect. Know that you can renew yourself every day just as our bodies renew, it is never too late for anything. Be content with where you are; strive for what you want all within this paradoxical living organism called life.
TODAY IS THE OUTCOME OF YESTERDAY. TOMORROW WILL BE THE OUTCOME OF TODAY. YOU CHOOSE.