The makeup product I cannot live without is mascara. That’s because mascara is absolutely essential to my routine and my beauty look.
I know it’s a lot of pressure to put on one piece of makeup, but as any girl will tell you, mascara is seriously important. Sure, I love a dreamy eyeliner, a luxurious foundation and a poppin’ blush, but I COULD live without them if I had to.
NOT mascara. I will NOT live without mascara.
Thanks to the lovely Ayen in SuperDrug Holborn for her assistance a couple of weeks go, I checked out ALL the mascaras!
How to choose the perfect mascara
Choosing the right mascara can definitely be a difficult task. With so many mascaras on the market promising to either lengthen, or bring volume to our lashes, the options can be confusing. Here are some things to keep in mind when your purchase your mascara.
- Formula – Should you get lengthening, curling, thickening or Volumizing? With so many to choose from deciding which one is best for you can be intimidating. If you want longer lashes go for a good lengthening mascara, fuller lashes need volume, and some mascaras promise to do both. We like L’Oreal Volumizing mascara; it has a great want to it and is great for thickening the lashes while adding length.
- Waterproof – Waterproof mascaras are great for people who plan or need to wear it all day. It works wonders if you are going to be in the sun or sweating. Also, it helps to maintain any curl you put into your lashes by an eyelash curler. However, it is harder to remove than conventional mascara so make sure you have a good remover specially formulated for removing waterproof mascara. If you wear contacts or have sensitive eyes it may be best to find mascara that is hypoallergenic to avoid irritants near the eye.
- Color – This one is pretty easy. Black mascara opens the eyes and gives the lashes a fuller effect. Although you can pick from many different shades, black will give the best outcome for a set of full, thick lashes that everyone will envy. However, if you have very light hair and skin you may find that very black mascara may be to overpowering. Try using a brown/black mascara to not overwhelm your look.
- STOP PUMPING! Don’t pump the wand in and out of the bottle. This pushes air into the tube which will make the mascara dry out faster causing clumping and flaking. Instead, gently twist the wand back and forth or in circular motions to pick up the desired amount of product.
- Don’t be afraid to curl: Begin at the root of the lashes being careful not to get any skin into the eyelash curler. Press the curler together and hold for about 10 seconds and move the curler out to the end of your lashes and repeat. Again, this step is optional but it does make for longer looking lashes and opens the eye.
- Watch out for clumps: When you remove the wand from the bottle make sure to scrap off any excess mascara from the wand. This will help you avoid making your lashes clumpy.
- Top or Bottom? It doesn’t matter really. For the top lashes, look straight forward, take the wand and place it at the base of your lashes. Using a back-and-forth motion while moving the wand up your lashes and sweep upward, this will help give your lashes a curled effect. Keep repeating this until you get your lashes as thick as you want, usually 2-3 coats. For the bottom lashes, tilt your head forward slightly to keep from getting mascara onto your cheek. Use the same side to side motions until you get a good coat of mascara on your lower lashes. If you have problems with mascara transferring from your lashes onto your eyelids or cheeks, use a business card, credit card or small piece of paper and hold over the area while applying your mascara.
I’ve also been experimenting with eye shadows and through my MAC Pro Card got these 6 colours…
What’s your go to mascara? After researching for this article I realised my “pumping” days are over. And who knew that you should use two different types of mascara to get those perfect framed eyes? Do you have any tips or tricks? Hit me up on Facebook Twitter and Instagram.
Let’s talk about it!