The traditional pancake recipe is a basic culinary foundation that can accommodate so many toppings. So what will you be putting on your pancakes on Shrove Tuesday?
Take the basic recipe of 2 large eggs, 100g plain flour, 300ml of semi skimmed milk, 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil, place in a blender and mix until smooth, add a pinch of salt and re-blend. Heat your frying pan with a splash of extra virgin olive oil, adding a table spoon of the mixture, evenly cover the pan and leave on the heat until golden. Flip your pancake and cook on the reverse side.
The above mixture makes approximately 8 to 10 pancakes.
Here’s a few tips for toppings:
- The traditional lemon and sugar (which is also a great facial scrub – but that’s another blog!)
- Berriesfest – blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries
- Creme fraiche with a teaspoon of honey
- Bananas with brown sugar with and/or with out creme fraiche
For a little Caribbean spice …
- Slim slices of mango on its own or with brown sugar and cinnamon
- Slim slices of mango with a teaspoon of Cockspur, Appletons, (or your preferred rum) you don’t need any sugar because of the sugar content in the rum.
- Thinly sliced apple and cinnamon
- Sour sop (if you can get hold of a fresh one) with brown sugar.
- Slices of guava or just spread some guava jelly.
Mouthwatering stuff, yeah?
Treat yourself and whatever your preference of topping enjoy your pancake day.