Today is #WorldSmileDay!
I do a lot of talking and smiling for work so my oral health alongside healthy teeth are VERY important. More important than you may realise.
Good oral and dental hygiene can help prevent bad breath, tooth decay and gum disease and can help you keep your teeth as you get older.
An unhealthy mouth, especially if you have gum disease, may increase your risk of other serious health problems….. believe it or not heart attack, stroke, poorly controlled diabetes and even preterm labour.
It’s interesting know that the mouth can be connected to such ailments so keep your pearly’s in as healthy state as possible and make sure you brush twice a day without fail.
Infections that start in your mouth can lead to even worse health concerns. For example, gingivitis, a common inflammation of the gums, can develop into periodontitis, a much more serious infection that can cause tooth loss. Infections that start in your mouth have even been linked to such complications and disease as:
- Premature births
- Low birth weight babies
- Respiratory problems
- Coronary artery disease
- Untreated tooth and gum disease can even lead to death!
5 healthy products for natural, healthy teeth
Toothpaste – this is an obvious one. But these days there are ALL sorts of products geared towards a healthier smile. Pastes, powders, activated charcoal… which one is right for you? Hint: It doesn’t really matter because they’re all very similar.
I like Sensodyne Sensitive Repair and Protect Extra Fresh Toothpaste
- Strong repair for sensitive teeth, forms a protective layer over sensitive areas of your teeth
- Clinically proven relief and daily protection for sensitive teeth
- No1 dentist recommended brand for sensitive teeth
- Leaves your mouth feeling clean and fresh
- Sensodyne Repair and Protect, powered by NovaMin, is a unique, clinically proven calcium formulation
- It helps to repair vulnerable areas with the natural building blocks of teeth
Mouthwash – It protects our teeth from decay, keeps our mouths clean and healthy, fights off gum disease and freshens up our breath. The less well-behaved among us may also try to use it to cover up the fact they’ve been smoking or boozing over lunchtime, though nobody is fooled.
My fave is Listerine Total Care
Boldly, it claims to kill up to 97% of germs, while reducing plaque by up to 56% more than brushing alone. If that’s not enough, it also takes care of tartar, bad breath and gum disease.
Floss – The side of your teeth might not be on show like the front of them are, but the gaps between each tooth can soon become full of bacteria and food particles that have a negative effect on our oral health.
- Cleans the areas of the teeth (up to 40%) that regular brushing does not reach.
- Dislodges trapped food particles
- Removes plaque and bacteria
- Reaches under the gumline where bacteria can become trapped
- Can help prevent tartar build up
- Can help reduce the chances of gum disease
- Makes your mouth feel cleaner and fresher
- An important part of a good oral hygiene routine
After a survey of family and friends I’m going to recommend the Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser WP-120
- Advanced control delivers a water pressure of 10 to 90 PSI with 1200 pulses per minute
- Removes debris and bacteria lodged deep between teeth and below the gum-line
- Includes six tips: classic jet tip, plaque seeker tip, tongue cleaner, an orthodontic tip and a Pik-Pocket tip
- Advanced pressure control system with 10 settings
Whitener – You’re all dolled up, spending ALL sorts of money looking your best. It is NOT the time to have yellow teeth. It’s now cheaper, and easier than ever to whiter than white teeth and there’s a number of options available online and from the high street.
iWhite instant teeth whitening kit
This easy to use kit contains pre-filled gels for no mess or confusion. The kit contains 10 trays which promises to remove stains and strengthen your teeth.
(This one is kind of eww…) Tongue Scrapers –
One of the most widely regarded and highest rated tongue cleaners available today, drTung’s tongue cleaner is made from stainless steel and comes nicely packaged and even has a travel pouch included.
Now that your teeth are sorted… don’t forget to smile!!!
Smiling makes you:
- less anxious
- counteracts negativity
- makes you appear more competent
- strengthens your immune system
- makes you appear trustworthy
- boost your productivity
- makes you look YOUNGER (!!!)
Best of all? Smiling is CONTAGIOUS!
It’s not always necessary to feel like smiling to smile. Try it… Start with a small smile, and then turn it into a great big grin.
It may be awkward, but if you keep it going for long enough, your mind and body will catch on and you’ll start to feel and think differently while improving your health. And remember …… A Smile Means The Same Thing in Every Language!!!
Go ahead: Smile more and see how far it really takes you. Show me your best smile and hit me up with a selfie with the hashtag #ShowAngieASmile on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.